I have compiled a very useful (as I think) 64bit kernel for Slackware 12.0 – 14.0 and/or all Slackware derivatives. For example Slax, Zenwalk , SlackEX, Exton|Defender and Exton-Slack. The kernel is compiled exactly the same way as Slackware’s latest kernel 3.2.29 huge. “My” kernel 3.8.7-x86_64-exton has even more support for new hardware, etc. Kernel 3.8.7 is the latest stable kernel available from Kernel.org. Released 20130412.
If you want to install my kernel in your Slackware 64bit system, do this:
1. Download slackware-kernel-3.8.7-x86_64-exton.zip
2. Unpack it with unzip slackware-kernel-3.8.7-x86_64-exton.zip
3. Install it with the command installpkg slackware-kernel-3.8.7-x86_64-exton.txz
(The kernel is packed just like Slackware’s original kernels so that everything ends up in the right place)
3. If necessary, change your Grub configuration
4. If you have an Nvidia graphics card in your computer, you may need to look over your files in /etc/modprobe.d before restarting the computer. That is remove the “blacklisting” of Nouveau’s kernel module in the appropriate files blacklist.conf and nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf. With “my” kernel functions the Nouveau “free” driver works just fine.
Restart your computer and enjoy!